Here’s a progress report. The new moose started telling jokes today. So, I’m very happy! We could have implemented this much earlier, but I had wanted to sort out other things first.
One of those things sorted out, is how to create User Interface for our plugins. We have tested Awesomium, Cefsharp (a GitHub thing, CEF = chromium-embedded framework ). Both Awesomium and Cefsharp are using Chrome to render HTML5 and CSS3, with inter-process communication back to my Moose application. That made them quite slow.
We compromised, and went back to using what Microsoft provides, a WPF webbrowser.
All of these had the same problem. We couldn’t get transparent backgrounds to work properly. That’s a shame because the Moose’s native windows have a wonderful background with ever-changing subtle gradient effects.
On the plus side: Using HTML to create user interface for Settings of various plugins, is a benefit. We can translate to other language easily without recompiling. We can use Web Fonts in multiple languages. We can re size our windows to small screens, and “responsive” behavior will make all the HTML elements fit properly.
On the minus side: We can’t get HTML5 pretty features on windows XP. Hopefully ugly is better than nothing.
In other news, the Moose is now also successfully speaking a variety of hypnotherapy NLP-constructed sentences for power-of-suggestion for weight loss and getting enough sleep. These are showing really good potential for being something that will truly help people.
In other news, We’ve nearly perfected the “Show-Speak-Hide” sequence. Show the moose, moose speaks, then disappears. The part that is now great, is the eye contact and relaxed smiling, just before the Moose disappears, which leaves a great ‘impression’. But we still need to add a little relaxed smile before speaking begins, because it currently seems slightly rushed to Show and immediately start speaking.
In other news, recording of webmoose videos is a fast smooth process now. Just one problem, is that it changes the moose’s size, and we need to add some coding to restore it to the former size once recording is done. Which reminds me to mention: The user can now change the Moose to be ANY size, HUGE to TINY, and it all works great. Even at a full screen size, the frame-rate is fast and smooth! The work that was done for recording, also gave an opportunity to improve lip synchronization a little more too.
In other news, I got the idea that for something to implement in the future. Holding CTRL should allow the user to move the mouse over the moose. (Normally the moose would jump to a different corner, to stay away from the mouse.) So CTRL would allow the user’s mouse to approach the moose, then maybe right-click to bring up a context menu, or scroll wheel to adjust size, and left click-drag to position the moose. Maybe.