For companies that create Voices, like Nuance, AT&T, Cepstral, Cereproc, Ivona, Neospeech and others, here’s the value propositon:
Have an open mind and imagine the Moose spreading virally onto millions of computers in multiple countries.
IF that were to happen, Millions of users will want high quality voices. Some will spend money to buy more voices.
– The Moose could create a strong new demand for high quality voices. Increased sales.
– The Moose can offer “on sale” promotions, “bundles” and so on. (Voice companies currently have very limited ability to effectively put voices on-sale for special occasional promotional events.) Analogy: the Steam Christmas Sale (or 4 other major sales during the year)… Steam sales of games are massive during these special events.
– The moose can directly reach far more potential buyers than the voice companies had ever imagined. The market for normal people enjoying hearing jokes, is far far greater than the “read text aloud” market segment. The Moose’s potential market is far greater than all the businesses who might buy a cloud-voice customer-service agent.
– The moose is built for ease of translation into other languages, BY users themselves. Translation doesn’t require re-compiling resources. So the moose will spread from one language to the next, to the next. This opens new markets for Voice companies.
– The entertainment industry is huge, referring to 3D games and motion-capture animated movies. The current use of recording Voice Artists, in just one langauge, is expensive. Text-to-speech voices, offer re-usability from one project to the next, AND, the cost-savings of simply translating text into other languages instead of re-recording a new voice actor in another language. The Moose HAS DEMONSTRATED that lip sync quality is excellent, to text-to-speech voices. The entire entertainment industry is opening up as a bigger market for text-to-speech voices. The Moose is the current ONLY demonstrator of this potential. The rapid spread of the Moose to millions of normal people, has the added value of opening up the entertainment industry for Voice companies.
– The advertising industry on web pages, is huge. There is plenty of compelling evidence that videos and moving talking characters, seen on web pages, are able to dramatically increase the users attention and interest in the website, thereby increasing sales. But prior to now, there was a barrier of high cost of making voice recordings. Text-to-speech voices, make it FAST and CHEAPER than audio recordings of voice talent. But poor lip sync and poor animation quality, have in the past, hindered spread of talking human characters onto web pages. The Moose’s amazing lip sync quality, combined with the amazing quality of text-to-speech voices nowadays, if applied to human 3D faces designed for webpage sales, would make the text-to-speech approach the ultimate winner, compared to voice-talent recording. When you save production costs to the advertisers, you’ll open new markets for text-to-speech voices, dramatically.
Well, obviously some of this value for voice companies, depends on succeeding in the Moose spreading around the world. If not the Moose, what else then? Name any other talking face that has the essential ingredients: Friendliness (smiling and eye contact), perfect lip sync in multiple languages, tolerated for long term use because of its random natural motion, and carefulness to not interfere with normal work done on computers.